Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Weekly Tip: DIY Chevron Pattern


I've been obsessing over the chevron pattern for probably a year so I finally decided to incorporate it into my little apartment fit for two. I chose to make my own canvas art print - chevron style.

Here's how I did it!

All you need is:

painters tape
at least one soft-bristle brush
push pins
an amazing color (or 2)
something to paint on!

Ready?


#1 Print out your pattern (enough to cover the width of the surface you're painting on). This one came from Sunset.

#2 Tape the patterns together to make one big stencil. Make sure to match the lines up correctly!

#3 Using push pins, mark each point of the stencil. Push hard enough to pierce the surface you are painting without leaving huge marks. 


#4 Using painters tape, follow the trail of holes left by the push pins. I used 1" tape but you can vary the sizes of the zig-zags with different widths.


#5 The fun part comes next...add the COLOR! I used two coats of paint to make sure I got an even look. Let it dry (I left it for about an hour) then slowly remove the painters tape. 


#6 Find that perfect spot in your home, step back, and take a look. Gorgeous!



{I'm sharing this project over at The DIY Showoff & BNOTB}
Here are some other fabulous D.I.Y. chevron projects! 
Read more here!
Read more here!
Read more here

9 comments:

  1. LOVE everything about it. I want to have a chevron wall once I get a house. You should give us a tour of your apt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I just grabbed your button and added it to my sidebar. Hopefully that will send some traffic your way. I'd love to have you guest post sometime- my readers really like home decor tutorials and I don't get to them super often. If you have something you'd like to share just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fun. I would NOT have the patience to do something like that. I do admire those who can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your chevron looks awesome! I can see how you have to be so very careful with laying out the pattern. That intimidates me a bit. ;)
    You did a great job and it looks fantastic. Love the colors you chose, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and the one different colored zig-zag is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful! Nice work! I saw your post on Sew Happy Geek and am now following your blog.

    Isn't painter's tape nice for these paint projects on canvas? I used it for a different art project (http://educatorssoliloquy.blogspot.com/2011/01/artists-date-week-two-geometric.html), but I have a canvas in my supplies so I may just have to try something like this for my office! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you have performed well-turned creativity, the canvases you have made looking so attractive. The tutorial is looking quite easy for making, i just want to say thanks for sharing these amazing prints.

    Canvas Prints

    ReplyDelete
  8. This caught my eye in your home tour section and the wheels were already turning as to how I could recreate it for a big empty wall in my basement. I love the pushpin idea! I haven't seen that yet. It's a genius way to mark out the chevron pattern. definitely doing this. Espcially love the accent color thrown in there. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

//PINTEREST
Pin It button on image hover