Thursday, February 3, 2011

DIY Design Your Life

I'm a huge fan of the blog, Makeunder My Life. The creator, Jess, is so so talented. One aspect of her blog is called DIY Design Your Life. The whole premise is that you write 5 intentions for your life and how you will design your life around them. I'm a total list/goal maker, so naturally, this caught my eye! The more I started working on it, the more I really enjoyed writing it. It was a great way to reflect on my life, where I'm headed, and what I want to accomplish. I had to shorten it because I just kept writing! Try doing this little exercise -- it is amazing what you can learn about yourself.

Intentions:
1. Being the Best Wife I Can
I was recently married (November 2010) to the most amazing guy! He really is perfect for me. Being at the beginning of this adventure together, now is the time to establish ways to become the best wife and life partner that I can be! I'm certainly no expert on the matter of marriage but I do know that life will be full of ups & downs. I also know that having my life anchored in good values will make any challenge bearable! In any relationship, being able to forgive and accept of the other's faults will make any relationship successful.

2. Never Stop Learning
The learning doesn't stop at a university diploma for this girl! I so admire those people who know a little bit about everything! I'm not going to limit myself to what amazing knowledge the world has to offer. I've decided to always have a hobby I'm loving, a book I'm reading, and a topic I'm becoming an expert on. Ok, not an expert, you know what I mean.

3. New Confidence 
Everyone has their insecurities for whatever reason. Recently I've realized that I've missed out on so many opportunities, adventures, friendships, and accomplishments because of fear or worrying what others might think! Really, it's so not worth giving up so much because of silly thoughts! Getting out of your "comfort zone" is no easy task but one that will open a million new doors. This will be different for every person. For me it may be: starting a conversation with a stranger, being myself around people I don't know, telling the joke anyways, knowing that everyone makes mistakes, and sticking up for what I believe.

4. Checking Off My List
I definitely have one of those lists, you know, the one that says everything you want to accomplish in life. I think a lot of passion + a little bit (ok A LOT) of hard work can get you anywhere you want in life. I'm happy to say that I am well on my way. Here are a few I've CHECKED OFF so far: Live in Europe (Spain), Take a fencing lesson, Camp on the beach, Ride a gondola in Italy, Speed along the Autobahn, Climb the stairs of the Chichen Itza ruins, Go river rafting, Get a university diploma, Study interior design, Take salsa lessons (Spain again), Make Creme Brulee, Play the piano, Hike the Subway, Own a dog, Marry a handsome guy, Taste fine cheese in France, etc, I have yet to ACCOMPLISH A BUNCH including: Go skydiving, Get scuba certified, Visit every continent, See the 7 Wonders of the World, Die my hair darker, Always forgive, Master my Gnocchi recipe, Find the world's best milkshake, Participate in a Triathlon, etc. I have my work cut out for me!


5. Sharing What I Love
Interior design has ALWAYS been my passion. It is what I've studied in school and what I've made my profession. One day, my piles of mags, fabric, and paint chips got a little overwhelming. That's where blogging came in to play. I started my blog, Third Floor Design Studio, and was instantly hooked. It was a perfect way to share inspiration, tips and tricks of the trade, as well as some of my own work (without taking up the closet space)! Whether it's just my husband reading it or the entire world, what matters most is that I share my love for this subject! I've committed to post every single day. I want every post to be meaningful, purposeful, and edifying -- not just something thrown up in a hurry. To do this, I need to know my stuff (constantly finding, researching, and learning)! It's scary to hit that "publish" button. What if people don't like what I post? I definitely get nervous putting myself and my work out there. Then again, this is what I was talking about in #3. Confidence! Forget what other's might think...this is what I love!

5 comments:

  1. Kim this was a really inspiring post! Glad you did this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for doing such a fantastic DIY DYL! I love your enthusiasm for life, it totally shines through in your writing :).

    And I find myself similar to you - I want to master a gnocci recipe and be the best girlfriend I can be :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! so glad i found you blog via DYL. i'm your newest follower : )

    ps i'm hosting a gourmet chocolate GIVEAWAY just in time for <3 day if you want to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous fabulous post! How could anyone NOT love your passion, which is so evident through your writing? It's really exciting to find a great interior design blog that's written with a human perspective, not just about products and design, you know? I'm sure there are a lot of others, but yours is the first I've found. And I'm smitten. :)

    ararejoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found this post! I love it. Kim, you're such a gem. I'm so glad we found each other and became friends. ;)

    ReplyDelete

//PINTEREST
Pin It button on image hover