Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Weekly Tip: DIY Sunburst Mirror


The ever stylish sunburst mirror. Whether you love it or not, this is a piece of art/decor that will always be with us. These classic mirrors can add a touch of sparkle and dimension to any boring space. I've seen them show up in practically every room you can think of from the powder bath to the dining room-- and they look good every time! 

Whether you throw this mirror into a room full of classic fabrics, modern lines, or an eclectic mix of furniture, it will always add a touch of vintage. With its long history of showing up in the design world, the sunburst mirror combines just enough of the old with the new. 

A little while back I decided I wanted one. I had one of those "I can totally make that" moments, and while most of the time that isn't true, this time I actually did make it! 

Here is the finished product...


...and here is how I did it.

What you'll need: 
- 3 packs of dowels (1/8" x 12")
- 1 pack of shishkebab sticks for variation (10" long)
- 2 flat wooden disks (10" wide) I got them from Hobby Lobby for 99cents/ea. 
- A craft mirror
- Hot glue gun
- E-6000 (or an equivalent glue)
- 1 spray paint can (I went with gold) 


1. Take your flat disk and measure out a graph (to help keep your dowels straight). I measured across it horizontally and vertically then measured diagonally. 

2. The dowels do not have pointy tips so I actually sharpened them with an electric pencil sharpener. I don't know if I would recommend doing this but it was the quickest way I could think of -- I am not responsible for any broken pencil sharpeners! :)

3. I tried several different patterns using a combination of dowels and shishkebab sticks. I liked the look of "rays" with varied lengths so I measured/marked where I needed to place each dowel in order to achieve the look. After a while I just got the hang of it and was able to eye where they need to be placed.  

4. Put a layer of hot glue down on the disk, place your dowel(s), then put another layer of glue on top of the attached sticks. {Go crazy with the glue! Make sure those sticks aren't going to go anywhere!}


5. Using the E-6000 {or whatever glue you have chosen}, attach the 2nd flat disk on top of the dowels. {E-6000 is a much stronger glue and will hold the weight of the mirror more securely}

6. Add the color! Spray painting it took a matter of minutes. I did a layer on top, turned it over and did the bottom, then one more layer on top and I was done. 


7. Using the E-6000 {or whatever glue you have chosen}, attach the mirror to the top disk. I placed a few heavy text books on top while the glue was drying. {Finally, a practical use for that stats book!} I let the glue dry for a good 24+ hours. 

8. Attach it to your wall! The framing section of your local craft store will have all sorts of suggestions for the best ways to hang it safely and securely. 




I think it looks so so fun. It makes enough of a statement to stand alone on our wall. {Oh...and that ampersand print was also made by yours truly! Stay tuned for yet another DIY tutorial!}


23 comments:

  1. Fabulous. What a great idea and it looks stunning. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made a sunburst mirror too! Looks great! Check out my blog.
    countrygirlhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly - it's beautiful! I love it in your room - perfect spot for it! Great job! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out amazing! One of the best DIY sunburst mirrors I've seen! I can't wait to go through your older posts.

    I'm a new follower from Welcome Wednesday. I'd love for you to stop by my blog:
    http://thejunkhouse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT IS AWESOME!

    I also love your blog design!!

    I am a new follower from Welcome Wednesday!
    Hope you'll stop by Mama Days!
    http://littlemissemmylou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great! I've been wanting to try my hand at one of these! Thanks for the great tutorial! New follower and would love it if you wanted to stop by my blog sometime!
    http://aturtleslifeforme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing. And so simple. I'm your newest follower. It would be great if you could stop by my blog Monday and add your project to The More The Merrier Link Party.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mirror turned out great! I love the variation you added with the different lengths of dowels. I made a similar mirror myself
    http://welcometoheardmont.com/2010/10/creating-a-sunburst-mirror/
    But I LOVE how yours has "rays!"
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! I love it over your bed. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button. (I think I got married in the same place as you:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw your feature on Someday Crafts- congrats! I hope it brings by lots of traffic:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. BEAUTIFUL! just stopping by from Someday Crafts. I did a few similar sunbursts with a pack of mirrors from Target, round foam discs and bamboo skewers.

    http://bontempsbeignet.blogspot.com/2010/09/thin-aint-in.html


    Yours looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this on oneprettything and had to check it out. I love the retro vibe. I recently did a similar project based on George Nelson's iconic ball clock.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the tutorial! This would look great in my house, so I've found yet another project for the near future. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sunburst mirrors and have plans to make one. I really like the way you did your rays different lengths. I'll have to try that one. Not sure I am so daring with the pencil sharpener! That's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love your take on the Sunburst Mirror. Thank you for linking up last week at Sew Woodsy. I will be featuring this project tomorrow at our link party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing!! I love the mirror!! I was going to do something similar but found one pre-made for under $100 so couldn't turn that down!!! Thank you for visiting my blog. I look forward to pouring over all of your posts... I feel we have the same writing style!!! Look forward to reading your blog daily... Please follow/subscribe to mine!! If you Don't mind me asking how did you find my blog?

    Thanks a loads!!
    Tiffany @ {Living Savvy}
    www.savvydesignwest.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is insanely amazing and SO EASY! I can't believe you just thought this up and did it. I'm majorly impressed...you go, girl! (c:

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is wonderful. I have seen so many DIY sunburst mirrors and this one is my FAVORITE! I love it and can't wait to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome! I am going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is awesome!!! I saw this mirror for soooo much mula but now I am going to tackle it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just made this over the weekend. I am in love with it! Thanks for the tutorial!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved your simple tutorial. Thanks. Made myself a sunburst clock based on this. Check it out here http://dee007pak.blogspot.ae/2013/11/sunburst-anything.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the tutorial. I've been looking at a bunch of DIY sunburst mirrors and yours is my favorite. I'm going to gather the materials over the next few months and make a similar one in the spring.

    ReplyDelete

//PINTEREST
Pin It button on image hover