Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Weekly Tip: DIY Abstract Art

Making your own abstract art.


Saturday night was date night. The husband had been studying all day and I had been doing my usual rearranging/nesting/sprucing - whatever you want to call it. I had been thinking a lot about this post I had written just a couple days before. The lack of color in our tiny little apartment for 2 was driving me crazy so I set out to change that... in a big way! 

One thing led to another and we found ourselves at the hardware store staring at the wall. You know which one I'm talking about -the one that gives all indecisive people {like me} an anxiety attack!


We stood there for a good 10 minutes thinking - not about which color to choose but how we were going to get one of each chip without the little man wearing an orange apron giving us a frown. We're talking around 300 paint chips here people...



  No one ever said a word or gave us the look so this is what we came home with! Cool.
Here is where the Weekly Tip comes in {sorry for the long intro}. 


Supplies:
- As many paint chips as you'll need
- A roll of Scotch masking tape

First I laid the chips out on the floor and decided which pattern would look better: alternating tints & shades or a gradation. Alternating was more exciting  and seemed to actually flow a bit more naturally. This part is really up to you and the look that you want to achieve! My inspiration came from here but decided on something more unique to me.  

I then measured the wall to figure out exactly how many of these chips would be needed!  For this wall it ended up being 15x18. I wanted to leave a little bit of white wall on each end to frame the art.   


*The masking tape worked just fine. I didn't want to use an adhesive that would take the paint off of my walls!

I started from the top and did the very first column from ceiling to floor. Since it would be the guideline for the rest of the wall, I made sure it was straight! 



After about 3 hours we were done and in love with the statement piece that now adorned our living room wall! {Thanks to my husband for his help! He was getting a kick out of reading some of the color names as they went up.}


The best part about it: the total cost was $0
{not counting the tape I already owned}


We grabbed a few shots before heading off to church...


Done. 

29 comments:

  1. this looks so cool!! i would have been so nervous trying to take all those paint chips too!
    abranconier.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just love it! So cool! (and I forgive you for the lamp...it looks just like one I have kept only because I can't find a pretty floor lamp that lights up my room)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! Great idea. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sometimes grab those paint chips to play with on our Cricut and we always feel a bit guilty. The funny thing is that at some stores we've been encouraged to take all we want...

    ReplyDelete
  5. fABULOUS ! I just wrote a post about how I adore colour...and this is so artistic ! love it ! thanks for the inspiration ! xo
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so awesome! What a great statement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim! I don't know if you remember me, but I was the other photographer at the Valentine's Photobooth last month and turns out I was your sister-in-law's EFY counselor like five years ago. Anyway, she posted this today and I loved your video so I thought I would say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is rad. What a great idea! I'm trying to think of a place in my apartment where this would work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I just stopped by from Beth's Tips & Tutes. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this idea! You two did an excellent job executing it! I might have to recreate it in my boys' playroom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good idea! My husband works at HD and he says they don't care about the chips because the vendor comes and restocks anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is really cool! What a great way to use paint chips.
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love stealing things, especially from hotels and the elderly. Sadly, I don't think you were actually stealing since it's free ya know!? YOU CAN'T "STEAL" FREE THINGS! :D Maybe you'll work your way up the petty crime latter and start "borrowing" the sweet n' low packets at your local IHOP to make a sweet love sac...

    Ran into Jesse yesterday on campus and he was gushing about your creativity with this post and I have to agree. Awesome work!

    And you're not a criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is wonderful! Looks amazing, I'd love to try this in y boys playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks awesome! And you gotta love free art! I found this at Dragonfly Designs linky party. www.thebakingmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cool project! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's awesome! What a fun idea, I think we'll do that in Maria's room. I could here her say, "OH!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun and craft idea!

    I am following you from the Welcome Wednesday. When you get a chance please follow me back. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great statement wall. Love the impact it has.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So funny story.... I read this before I went to sleep last night and then dreamed (I promise this is correct English) of stealing all the paint samples! Haha. I want to try something similar on a large canvas I have!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is awesome!!! I featured you on my blog today.
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is awesome! What a great idea... and $0, even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am blown away by how amazing it looks! Paint chips...who knew?!?

    ourtaylormadehome.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE it! I came here through the blog "The Stories of A to Z" and so glad I did. Loved the Dick and Jane scenario and I actually LOVE the lamp and think it goes perfect with the paint chips in the background! Don't get rid of it.

    GREAT Job! I am going to do the same thing but probably just on a large bulletin board. I'm off to the paint store with my trench coat on with large pockets !

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey KIM!! It's Steph!! Holy moly I loooove this idea! What a great, FREE way of adding a PUNCH!!! I'm all about change these days, so I bet that was totally fun!! Have you thought about maybe framing it? I was in HomeDepot the other day and saw spare, um, I think they call them "chair rail" or like moldings or something, but I was thinking how I would love to just do something right on the wall and then just put up a make-shift frame around it.


    Anyways: this is BOSS! awesome. love. !

    ReplyDelete
  25. it's Amazing!!! I appreciate your work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I realize this was over a year ago, but what a fantastic idea! Definitely pinning this for future reference :)

    ReplyDelete

//PINTEREST
Pin It button on image hover