Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Weekly Tip: How To Color Your World: WHITE

Over the next few weeks I'm excited to feature a new series on Tuesday Tip called "How To Color Your World" It is ALL about color and how you can use it in your space. Every color has a distinct personality and can really make or break a design. As much as I support the theory of just trusting what you feel when it comes to color harmony, I also believe that it's important to understand the characteristics and temperaments of what you're working with.

So today, I'm coloring with WHITE. {Ironic I know. White is technically a "neutral" but it is a staple in design today so I couldn't overlook it!}


White can make the smallest of spaces look airy and open. It adds depth and increased visual space. Using white draws more attention to architectural details. It creates a canvas for any item in the room to take center-stage. 

A few tips for using white:

- A room saturated in white can be very striking, but break it up with occasional contrasting color(s). This can be as permanent as a light fixture or as simple as a pillow. Make sure to repeat the color contrast several times in the room to keep the balance right.

- Varying textures and patterns also keeps your white space from getting too overwhelming. This is so so simple. A few throws, decorative pillows, or wall paper will do wonders.

- Even if your walls are white, it's ok {actually totally gorgeous} to use all white frames, vases, and other accessory pieces. The key is to layer: differ the heights, widths, and shapes. 

And for your inspiration:


Today I'm linking up at Modern Country Style

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love your blog too, great theme with the white interior.

    /Susann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I am joining Sarah's lovely party from my vintage apartment in Chicago. So glad you joined, too.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    Gg - Notes on the Journey
    Link #26

    ps. I like your practical and warm teaching style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    I love your ideas for this series. I'm looking forward to seeing more! I've joined as your new follower!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it that how white color can be used for a amazing decoration to our homes and offices.

    Thanks a lot for your thinking

    ReplyDelete

//PINTEREST
Pin It button on image hover