Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Guest Post: The Mustard Ceiling


{Elizabeth from The Mustard Ceiling is our final guest blogger this week and I am so excited that she is participating! She's going to tackle a subject that can be a major stress...window treatments. Thanks Elizabeth for sharing your insights on this!!}


Thank you Kimberly for asking me to participate in your design series this week! I am excited to be here.

Not too long ago, I tackled a BIG DIY project.
I designed and sewed my own window treatments for our dining room.
I fought my way through the project, and in the end was very happy with the results (not to mention I learned quite a few things along the way).

Today, Kimberly asked me to stop by and share a few things I learned with you.

There are so many things to consider when dealing with window treatments, to name a few:

* style
*fabric
*length
*hanging height

There are more things to consider, but these are the BIG decisions.
So let's tackle a few, shall we?

1. Popular Styles



Source
Double Panel

Most popular style,
provides the room with a feeling of symmetry and order.

Source

Double Panel with Pelmet

A pelmet encloses the top of the curtains,
and adds a traditional feeling to the space.

Source

Single Panel

Single panel drapes work well in small spaces,
or when windows are close together.

Source

Cafe Curtains

Cafe curtains add a hint of color and offer privacy
when full coverage is not needed

Source

Roman Shades

Add a simple elegance and architectural feel to the space.

2. Fabric



The fabric you decide to use on your window treatments
will set the tone for the space.

If you are looking for a casual feeling in your space try a natural fabric like:

Source

A pretty cotton fabric or...

Source

Linen

To add a more refined or luxurious feel think about:

Source

Puddling a pair of silk drapes in your space or...


Source

designing with Velvet.

3. Length

Length is tricky, however it can make a world of difference in your space.

Source

Short curtains, unless they are cafe-style, can be tricky to pull off.
If not done just right, they can look awkward...like high water pants.

Tip: They can work well when hitting something, like a radiator.

Source

Brushing the floor

Window treatments that brush the floor provide a
tailored or structured appearance to a room.

Source

Breaking the floor

meaning that the curtains extend onto the floor by an inch or two
lending a more relaxed feel to the space.

Source

Puddling the floor

When window treatments extend onto the floor by more than two inches,
they are puddling the floor.
Pudding provides a lush, romantic setting adding drama to a room.

4. Hanging Height

Last, but not least let's touch on hanging height.

When hanging curtains they look best if hung a little above the window molding.

I prefer, to hang my window treatments even higher, close to the ceiling.
This adds height to a room, and makes your ceiling appear higher.



Source

Can you see how high these curtains are hung ?
(or are you as distracted by the gorgeous bathtub and cute dog as I am)


If you do decide to hang them high, please keep in mind you will need to buy longer drapes. 


I could go on and on, but I will stop here.

I hope this gives you at least a few things to think about
next time you're thinking about window treatments.

Thanks for having me Kimberly, I enjoyed stopping by today.
Kimberly and I did a blog swap, so head on over to to check out what she has to say.


Thanks again Elizabeth! 

ALSO,


My Sunburst Mirror tutorial is being featured over HERE! So go take a peak!  

4 comments:

  1. Great tips; curtains are tricky! I love them hung high too, and when they just brush the floor. The pictures are so pretty and illustrate all the examples really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really great post. I appreciate all of the tips you've shared on window treatments. We're in the process of adding curtains to a few rooms and you've answered some questions for me. Thanks, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Applying window curtains and draperies can definitely add elegance to any window. These are great design inspirations! I personally love the green curtains with the matching green chairs. Everything just looked so bright and pretty.

    ReplyDelete

//PINTEREST
Pin It button on image hover