Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Weekly Tip: New Year De-Cluttering

There is no better time to de-clutter your home than at the beginning of a new year.

My husband and I got to spend the last three days together so we took the time to catch up on our never ending to-do list. I'm happy to say that we checked off practically every task. I love being married to someone who loves being productive too. One major task on the list was to go through our closets. We like to de-clutter pretty frequently but it's amazing how stuff just seems to triple itself! Here are a few tips I've learned in my life when it comes to de-cluttering.

1. Do one closet/drawer/cupboard at a time.
Trust me, it'll help you maintain sanity during the process!

2. Ask yourself if you've used the item in the last 6-12 months.
If the answer is no, toss it. You probably won't miss it. There are some exceptions for seasonal items or that one item you use only once a year but you KNOW you'll need it for that once a year occasion. 

3. If you've been good at filling the donation bin or trash bag but there are a few things you just can't seem to part with, do one of two things:
     1. Take a picture of it {pictures take up a lot less space} 
        Totally serious! I've done this and do you know how many times I've gone back to look at the    pictures? Zero. Now every time I come across a file like that on my computer, it's that much easier to hit delete! 
     2.  This only works if you organize/empty your closets a few times a year...but go ahead and put it back then 3 or 4 months down the road when you deep clean again you can re-evaluate the item.
        This has helped me a lot. Usually after putting it away again for a few months and letting it sit there I realize I don't need it and am able to throw it out more easily. Don't use this excuse for EVERY item though! Remember...only those last few items. 

Our home just feels lighter and everything has its place! Love it. Good luck and don't look back!



4 comments:

  1. I have been in a de-cluttering and organizing mood lately too! It's not normal for me but I am going to have to act fast and get it done before I change my mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I have moved a few times in the past few years, so we've worked pretty hard to pare down our belongings. It's amazing how much stuff we STILL have, though. Your tips are good, and I'm looking forward to a little more de-cluttering during January! Those images are certainly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love these tips, i would also suggest if it is not serving a purpose in your life in some way get rid of it and if you close your eyes and cant remember where an item is, you probably don't need it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that tip about taking a picture of something you can't part with!!! I've done that with art projects that my son has made, but hadn't thought of using that trick for anything beyond that.

    ReplyDelete

//PINTEREST
Pin It button on image hover