Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Weekly Tip: Change Isn't Always Bad

As I approach the daunting {yet oh so exciting} task of designing and decorating our new place, I can't help but feel that my style is changing and evolving. As I scour Pinterest and the blogosphere, I've noticed a new trend in the images I'm drawn to. I think this new place is going to adorn a much more eclectic look -- with pops of bright color and pattern of course!

The moment this realization came to me, I panicked. I felt like I was experiencing an identity crisis! Then I thought about design throughout history -- it's all about change.

Then I got discouraged. I don't know about you but I'm quite certain my bank account won't be able to handle all of this changing and evolving!

So I felt stuck. "Will I have to live with this style forever?!" Dramatic, I know.

First of all, no.
Second of all, there are things I can do that will lend myself to change things up more freely.

Let me explain.

1. Be willing to thrift. This allows you to paint, upholster, distress, stain, and alter a piece to your heart's content without breaking the bank. Then, when your style evolves once again, it won't be hard to throw out that piece that you only spent $20 and a coat of paint on...

2. Buy timeless pieces. If you'd rather not spend the time upscaling, then buy timeless pieces that will last through several changes and evolutions of our style. These pieces can always be adorned with accessories that coincide with your current trend obsession.

3. Do it one piece at a time. If you're like me, once you decide you need a change, you want it done and fast! This time, try buying one piece {whether it be furniture, accessories, or art} at a time and live with it for a while. This may solidify the direction you think you want to go or help you realize it's not quite right. That way you can start changing your direction without having to backtrack too much.

Hopefully I can listen to my own advice.
I'll let you know how it goes!

In case you're curious, here is a little taste of my current inspiration.




1 comment:

  1. I'm going through this design change as well. & I want it all done now!

    ReplyDelete

//PINTEREST
Pin It button on image hover