Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I'm Curious...What's Your Opinion?

I think every blogger has a bit of a blog identity crisis every once in a while. That's where I'm at -- for two reasons. 

First, I feel like my style is evolving quite a bit. The question is how I want my blog/business to evolve with it. Whenever this happens, my husband and I get out this giant white board that we own and have a serious brainstorming session {I love my husband for his creative/business sense}. It always renews my passion for what I do and reinforces the direction I want to take my business. I feel like this time it's going to be more of a major overhaul and this summer has been so crazy that I just haven't had the time/energy to address it. But with life slowing down a little, I feel like I'm ready to make some changes. 

Then there's the second reason. I feel like there are a million+ blogs to choose to read and each is equally full of talent and inspiration. So why choose mine? With the introduction of Pinterest {which I love, of course} I feel like blogs have been forced to take on a different purpose. 

So I open these questions up to you: 

What do you look for when you come to this blog?

In general, do you prefer design blogs to stick to design topics only? Or do you wish you could hear more about the blogger, and life in general? {a.k.a do you skip over those posts that have the "warning: this is not design related..."}

Be open and honest! Let me know what you think. 
Leave a comment or send me an e-mail! 

And in other news, I thought I'd show you a few details from our new little abode -- nickname pending. You'll recognize a lot of the little details, but just in a new place. 





{we have gray walls. i am so thrilled! no more band-aid brown!}

{picked up this rug on a major sale -- in love}

{getting a few of my halloween prints up and around}

{it was time for my beloved ikea expedit bookshelf to go. also, we couldn't get it down the stairs and through the door of our new place if we tried...}





{love love love our little fireplace}




15 comments:

  1. First of all, LOVE your new place!!! I want to see the whole thing!!! And second, I think about that with my blog too, how there are soooo many design blogs out there so why would people be interested in mine specifically. I think it just comes down to who "fits" for certain people, you know? Like I know that despite the tons of blogs I read, there are some that I love more than others just because of the personality of the blogger. Which is why I like little tidbits thrown in sometimes that help me get to know the person behind the blog. Also I like design blogs that show a mix of things they've done around their own house and things they've found out in the design world in general.(Like what you do!) So I try to do that on my blog just because it's what I like to read about on other blogs. Anyway I am really curious to see what other people say too- this is such a good discussion to start because I think about this too all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, and I forgot to add, that one reason I love when people showcase their own decorating at their house, is because my favorite blogs are always the ones who's personal homes I love so much I'm envious! So like you showing these "teaser pics" of your pretty new place makes me sooo excited to come back and see more! So I think it's good as bloggers to show how we live in real life, because then people can kind of decide right away if they like our style and if the looks we like and blog about are ones that they will like too. Anyways that's just my thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke! I like your thought about showing how we live in real life so that people can decide for real if they like your style or not. It's easy to want to please everyone but the reality is, some will love your style and some will not! So it is definitely important to really show who you are/your style and let others decide for themselves! Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. My design blog is just a design blog and my writing blog is my everything else blog because if I just had one recipes and stories and pictures of my baby would drown out my designs. But I read plenty of blogs that are mostly design/art/fashion that throw in a little bit of life every now and then and I love it. So its totally up to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kimberly It is definitely a balance! There is a line where it can just become a family blog which is great but for a different audience. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. love the new place pics. I love design blogs that show work they have done for their own clients like before and afters. also it would be interesting to see the process you go through to design for someone. and also changes you make to your own home. (I think readers like to feel like they can relate on some level and easily apply to themselves) Also, I like posts about things you see when you are out in stores that you would suggest for the home..for ex. these great pillows are on sale at target would be great for this blah blah. excited to see where you take your blog! (and wished you lived closer to help me with my baby room!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks becca! i love the idea of keeping people in the know about what i find while out and about. i can't wait to see the nursery you put together! you have great taste -- i know it'll be darling!!

      Delete
  5. Your new place looks fabulous! I LOVE all the white, which my little family would destroy in a day but I can always dream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks amy!! yeah all that white will have to go whenever we have kids! definitely not practical! haha

      Delete
  6. Great new space! I generally prefer a nice mix of decor and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like seeing different homes for ideas. I also like seeing little projects, because for most people (especially me in a student situation) it's kind of impossible to just redo my whole home or apartment. It is nice to just see small projects or ideas. It is also fun to do things like "A look for less" type of idea. Like something very in right now or whatever, but for cheaper whether that be a different brand or a DIY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks erica! i think almost everybody is on a budget! it can be frustrating for sure! i love it when i find trends but for a cheaper price. thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete
  8. love your fireplace! and the color of your walls! you have such great taste. I'd have to agree with Becca. And I love seeing things on design blogs that i can actually afford, and love seeing examples of sprucing things up to make them your own! Can't wait to see more of your place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lisa!! i totally agree, it's fun to look at AMAZING {expensive} rooms but i'd rather see something that i can actually do.

      Delete

//PINTEREST
Pin It button on image hover