Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Ikea Tarva Hack -- I Need Your Help!

Hi, you. I'm avoiding the calendar [a.k.a guilt] so I don't know how long it's been. A few updates! Modern-Atelier is keeping our weekends packed and my weekdays full of editing, which I love! But in my best efforts to keep on top of everything, I failed to keep on top of everything! I want this blog to only have worthwhile informative content, which may result in fewer but RICHER posts. And I'm ok with that. I hope you understand as well.

In other, somewhat related news, we moved. I loved certain things about our last basement bungalow, but I'm so excited about this new place. I want to dive deeper into this subject, but I'll save that for another day! 

I will say this, moving [and especially moving to a place with such design potential] has completely fueled my design fire! I'm basically starting from scratch, and most certainly plan on keeping you in the know throughout the design process. 

If you follow me on instagram, you know what I was up to last weekend. My first ever Ikea hack. Also, my first ever experience with wood stain. ALSO, my first ever experience having a place to do some serious DIYing in. Did I mention we have a garage? We're kind of excited. 

I've been drooling over mid-century consoles. We had an ugly heating component on one wall in the family room that needed to be hidden. I searched high and low for a console that was the right dimensions and was coming up short. So, I decided to go the Ikea hack route. And you know what? As HARD as I have tried to avoid Ikea, it's solved three design dilemmas for me already. So what can I say? 


The Tarva dresser was exactly what i was looking for, and you can't beat the price. I found this tutorial and decided to follow it very closely. Unfortunately, there are not as many options in the gel stain family, but Cherrywood was still a good fit. Also, staining is not for the impatient. You have to wait 12 hours in-between each coat. Luckily I only needed one coat, and even then I was dying! Thank you to my patient husband for keeping me on-track. I'm positive it would not have turned out this good without his help.

Oh, and we decided to stain/paint before assembling so we could pay more attention to detail. For anyone considering this route, just know it means committing to finishing every single surface [as opposed to just the exterior, visible, surfaces after it's built].


[materials used]

To give it a more unique mid-century look, I decided to paint the "shell" of the console [top, sides, legs, outer frame]. I'm super happy I went that route. It just gives it an extra touch of detail. *Note: I made sure to stain, not paint, the middle support beam [in-between the drawers]. 


Finally, I chose to use unique hardware, which is where I need your help! I initially went with the Faceted Ory Knob from Anthropologie. But there were only 6 in-store and they are out of stock till mid-April online. I love how they add a bit of a feminine touch to the piece. However, I also love the Streamline Knob. So here's what I'm thinking. 

A: go with the original plan of all Ory Knobs
OR
B: keep Ory Knobs on the top drawers, then use Streamline Knobs on the bottom two drawers   

[A OR B]

What's your opinion? Which plan do you like more, A or B?

33 comments:

  1. I like option B. However I do love those knobs, but I like the option b because it's a little different and you do that so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like all A! this is such a beautiful hack... i might just have to do the same!! I made a mirrored dresser out of an ikea dresser. Ikea is the best! http://thecopenhaven.blogspot.com/2011/09/diy-mirrored-dresser.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. i have been looking everywhere for those large Warhol prints. Can I ask where you got yours at?? michelleleeann@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I Love what you did with this dresser!! It's super inspiring because I love this look but everything that comes this way from a store is so dang expensive. As for the knobs, it's so hard to choose!! I love both options. I love that with option B you don't have to choose between knobs because both are fab, and the mix looks cool. But I like how the round knobs stand out more against the wood grain, so if all of them were those same knobs they would have such an impact. I seriously can't choose so I'm glad I don't have to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt! I was getting very discouraged by the price tags. Thanks for your input!

      Delete
  5. I love A! Option B looks like it's harder to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like the knobs in option A show up a bit more. I love the pulls but for the price, I would want the biggest bang for my buck! But it may look completely different in person... Can't wait to see more of your new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Yeah, option B is a little harder to see in the picture, and could be in person too. Definitely have to take that into consideration!

      Delete
  7. I love A as well. I like how they're a bit bolder (just like the other comments have said). Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote A. I love the look of the faceted knob. My experience with pulls is that they never stay perfectly horizontal unless they require two screws as opposed to one center screw (if that makes sense). Both are grand ideas though. And I L O V E your Ikea hack! How did you choose your stain color? To me, that would be the most difficult part--choosing the right shade. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Melissa! I hadn't thought about them not staying horizontal (which would drive me nuts!). Picking the stain was definitely the scariest part! I looked through a looooot of mid-century inspiration!

      Delete
  9. Hi, Im Ofelia from Mexico CIty. When I can't decide I choose both. So I'll chosse option A in one side and opton B in the other side. I'll keep both. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beeeeeeeautiful! You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. B makes it more unique I think. Great job either way

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erika KirkpatrickMay 28, 2014 at 8:04 PM

    Although I love option B, someone earlier made a great point in regards to them not staying in place. Also could you tell me where you purchased your Warhol poster? I love this poster and it is SO ME. Thanks very much! ekirkpatrick51@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kimberley!
    BIG fan from Australia here - thanks for sharing your hack. It has inspired me SO much, I am replicating it times 3 - I have a big week ahead of staining and putting it all together. Quick questions, your minwax cherry stain looks so dreamy and soft here - I've seen it all bright and glossy. Can you please share how you applied it? Any pretty tips would be amazing.
    gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

    Thanks <3 V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria! I am SO sorry these comments went unnoticed! In answer to your question (if you still need it), I think it was because I used the Gel stain. I just used lint free clothes (usually sold on the same isle as the stains) to apply in long even strokes. Hope that helps!!

      Delete
  14. Hi, I'm Lisa from Germany.
    Thanks for this impression!! It looks great! Did you also paint the sides white? I'd love to cover your idea, but i don't know what to do with the sides...

    Thanks for answering :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Yes, I did paint the sides white. Basically just the drawers were stained. Good luck!

      Best

      Delete
  15. I'm actually recreating this project as we speak! I have a question though, did you use the wipe on poly on the painted surfaces or just on the stained surfaces? It doesn't really say on the bottle if you can use it on paint. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Awesome!! I just used the wipe on poly over the stained surfaces, not the painted. Hope that helps!

      Best

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the inspiration! I directly copied your design for my nursery furniture. I wasn't able to source the exact same paint and varnish here in the UK - but the effect is the same. Thanks again.

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/130745195407522744/

    ReplyDelete

//PINTEREST
Pin It button on image hover